How do I adopt?
(If you haven't already done so, please be certain to read how to complete the application process to be approved to adopt.)
Your family should first discuss the responsibilities and extra time involved with adding a new dog to the household. Review our Adoption FAQs, Education, and Golden Gateway pages to familiarize yourself with the breed. If everyone in the family is committed to adopting a Golden Retriever, follow these steps:
- Carefully review our Eligibility Requirements. To avoid disappointment later, be sure you can meet all of the requirements before continuing with the application process.
- Carefully review our Terms and Conditions of Adoption. In order to adopt from DVGRR, applicants must be able, and willing, to comply with all Terms and Conditions of Adoption. If you have questions about any of the items, please contact us to clarify.
- Complete the online application and remit the non-refundable $30 (as of 7/1/12) application fee. If you prefer to complete a handwritten application, contact us to have one sent to you. Please note that the application fee is $40 for a handwritten application to cover the additional processing and postage.
- Have your veterinarian complete our online Veterinarian Information Request. If your vet cannot do this online, print the form and have your vet mail or fax it to DVGRR. This form is waived if you have no current or former pets.
- Help DVGRR by becoming a supporter. Although we encourage your support, it is not required for adoption.
Click here to view DVGRR’s contact information for any mailings, phone numbers and/or fax numbers.
After your application is received, we'll review it to ensure that you meet our Eligibility Requirements and determine if we have any initial questions. Since we primarily contact applicants via e-mail, please be sure to check your e-mail regularly for any important messages we may send.
If the initial review is favorable, we will contact you to schedule a home visit conducted by one of our Home Visit Team volunteers. The volunteer will go through a set of standardized questions, review your past experience as a dog owner and your expectations for adoption. They will also note the layout of your home and how it might impact a dog, and visually inspect any fencing that surrounds the yard. If you have an underground (invisible) fencing system, the volunteer will need to see the transmitter and verify that the system is operational. All members of the family must be present for the home visit; we will make every effort to schedule it at a mutually convenient time.
Following the home visit, we’ll review all application materials and advise you of your approval status. In some cases, approval of your application will be conditional on one or more factors – typically making necessary fence repairs or having an actual fence installed.
Many of our applicants have adopted from us previously – we take it as a compliment that they come back to DVGRR for a second (or third!) dog. Prior adopters will be asked to fill out a new application if it has been more than a year since their last one was completed. We’ll also arrange for a home visit unless waived by the Adoption Manager, since this really helps us with the matching process.
If you decide to purchase a puppy, adopt a dog elsewhere, or simply change your mind, we ask that you contact us immediately so we can remove your application from our files.
Thank you for your interest in adopting one of our Goldens!