Terms and Conditions of Adoption
(If you haven't already done so, please be certain to read how to complete the application process to be approved to adopt.)
I/We agree to the conditions set forth in this Agreement. In the remainder of this document, the Applicant(s) will be referred to as the ADOPTER(S) and Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue will be referred to as DVGRR.
DVGRR AND ITS REPRESENTATIVES ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE OR INJURY CAUSED BY ANY DOG ADOPTED, NOR DO THEY MAKE ANY REPRESENTATION OR GUARANTEE AS TO ITS PRESENT OR FUTURE MEDICAL CONDITION OR TEMPERAMENT. I/WE UNDERSTAND THAT ANY DOG MAY BE PRONE TO MEDICAL, BEHAVIORAL OR GENETIC CONDITIONS NOT READILY EVIDENT, E.G., HIP DYSPLASIA, EYE AND/OR HEART CONDITIONS.
Any changes or additional terms to these Terms and Conditions must be in the form of an Addendum and signed by all parties.
If any provision of the Agreement is or becomes void or unenforceable by force or operation of law, the other provisions shall remain valid and enforceable.
The entire Agreement between the parties is contained herein. Each clause, and the Terms and Conditions of Adoption in its entirety, has been read and understood by me/us. By signing this document I/we agree to adhere to the Terms and Conditions. I/we am/are signing of my/our own free will and not under duress of any kind. I/we affirm I/we have never been charged with animal cruelty, and am/are not an animal dealer or broker.
DVGRR ENFORCES THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ADOPTION
- The ADOPTER(S) understand there are costs involved in maintaining a dog, and hereby assume full responsibility for food bills, health care, general well-being and licensing of any dog adopted from DVGRR. The dog will be placed in a safe environment when left alone at home, and I/we agree not to tie or chain the dog indoors or in a yard, not allow him/her to be off lead anywhere unfenced or where his/her safety may be jeopardized, and to train or re-train him/her to be a good companion. At no time shall the dog be kept or housed in a garage regardless of how well it is kept.
- The ADOPTER(S) agree to accompany the dog to basic obedience classes within 90 days of adoption. A certificate of attendance should be provided to DVGRR. This clause may be struck from this Agreement on a case-by-case basis.
- The ADOPTER(S) agree to contact DVGRR if dog is lost for more than 24 hours or is stolen. DVGRR is to be notified when the dog dies.
- The ADOPTER(S) agree to allow DVGRR to periodically check to confirm the dog’s acceptance of the new environment and family and to ensure compliance with all Adoption Agreement conditions. This may include a home visit. DVGRR retains the right to visit and examine dog at any time. DVGRR also retains the right to reclaim dog when warranted because of neglect, abuse, inadequate home or veterinary care or breach of contract. The ADOPTER agrees to relinquish custody of dog to DVGRR immediately upon request without legal writ or order until the situation warranting the reclamation is rectified.
- DVGRR recommends allowing up to a 30-day period of time for the dog to adjust to its new surroundings and new family.
- The ADOPTER(S) are aware the dog must be returned to DVGRR if, at any time or for any reason, the ADOPTER cannot keep the dog. The dog must not be abandoned, sold or given to any other party or in any other manner be transferred to different ownership. If any dog adopted from DVGRR is returned within 30 days and is in the same or better condition, DVGRR will consider a request by the adopter to refund up to 50% of the adoption donation.
- The ADOPTER(S) agree dog will always be leashed when not in fenced area, and the dog will not be transported in the back of an open vehicle such as a pick-up truck. The “fence” should be an actual physical barrier capable of confining a Golden Retriever. The ADOPTER(S) agree that dog will be kept as a house dog, not a kennel dog, and that the dog will not be kept chained or on a tie-out at any time. Tie-outs are not substitutes for a fenced yard or run.
- The ADOPTER(S) will provide dog with a current license according to state and local laws. The ADOPTER agrees to license the dog within thirty (30) days of the effective date of this agreement. ADOPTER agrees to keep DVGRR Identification Tag with dog’s other tags on a suitable collar. If DVGRR Tag becomes lost, ADOPTER must notify DVGRR for help in obtaining a replacement.
- A collar with appropriate license, rabies, and identification tags (ADOPTER’S address and/or telephone number) must be worn at all times when dog is off owner’s property. DVGRR recommends a buckle or martingale-type collar. Choke chain or prong collars are NOT recommended for use at any time. The dog may not be attack trained or allowed to engage in any dog fighting activity, and the dog will not be used in experiments or research of any kind.
- The ADOPTER(S) agree to notify DVGRR of any change in address or phone number.
- The ADOPTER(S) agree to provide quality veterinary care on a yearly basis for dog including, but not limited to, DHLPP booster and regular rabies vaccination. The ADOPTER agrees to test dog for heartworm and keep dog on heartworm preventative recommended by the veterinarian. The ADOPTER agrees to seek prompt veterinary care when indicated by symptoms or an emergency. If euthanasia becomes necessary, dog must not be turned over to a Humane Society, animal shelter, or DVGRR for euthanasia and owner agrees to have a veterinarian perform this service.
- The ADOPTER(S) understand I/we are taking responsibility for any dog I/we adopt from DVGRR, and DVGRR is not liable or responsible for any damage to persons or property once the Adoption Contract is signed by me/us. Once a dog is adopted, if it is found to be neglected or abused, DVGRR reserves the right to reclaim the dog. I/we attest that the information provided on this application is true and accurate to the best of my/our knowledge.
- The ADOPTER(S) understand that dogs may carry diseases and parasites that may be transmissible to humans. I/We understand that these zoonotic diseases may be transmitted to anyone, but people with suppressed immune systems (due to an immune disorder, cancer treatment, organ transplantation, etc.) are at greatest risk, and I/we hold DVGRR harmless.
- Should it be necessary for DVGRR to take legal action to recover this adopted dog or otherwise enforce provisions in this agreement, I/we agree to pay all courts costs and legal fees.
- The ADOPTER(S) agree DVGRR shall not be responsible for any damages, costs or expenses, liquidated or otherwise, incurred by the adopter resulting from a placement including but not limited to, damage or injury to persons or property by the dog, and in this connection, the adopter releases, indemnifies and holds DVGRR harmless from any and all liability of any and every nature and cause directly or indirectly relating to this placement.
- The ADOPTER(S) hereby forever release, discharge and covenant to hold harmless DVGRR, and any other person, firm or corporation charged or chargeable with responsibility or liability, their heirs, administrators, executors, successors and assigns, from any and all claims, damages, costs, expenses, loss of services, actions and causes of action belonging to the said Adopter(s) arising out of any act or occurrence for the present or future time, and particularly on account of the adoption of a dog.
- The ADOPTER(S) hereby declare(s) that no representations about the nature of dog, or any representation regarding the nature and extent of legal liability or financial responsibility have induced the Adopter(s) to make this release and indemnity agreement.
- While every effort is made to provide accurate history and assessment of a dog, DVGRR does not warrant a dog regarding medical status or behavior or disposition, or fitness for any special purpose. The primary and ONLY function of a “rescue” dog is that of a house pet.